Monday, March 10, 2014

Aubrey's Vigil excerpt # 4






Burgess, with Luther Stringfellow next to him, pulled into the gravel lot of Foster’s hardware store.  “We’ll get a couple of post-hole diggers an’ a sharpshooter.  We’ll see what else we might need.”  He stepped one foot out of the truck.  When Luther sat unmoving in the passenger seat, he hesitated.
“I’ll wait out here,” said Luther.
“What?  What are you talkin’ about?”
“You see that ol’ blue pick-up?  That belongs to R.L. Hicks.”
“So?”
“He’s de one I tol’ you about; got me fired from de lumber ya’d.”
“Oh, that bastard.  Well, you’re with me.  There won’t be any trouble.”
“They’ll be trouble for bot’ uv us.  I ain’t kiddin’ yuh, Burgess.  R.L., he’s mean as a snake.  I go in dere, he’ll make sump’um of it.  I swear he will.  He hates colored folks.  Me ‘specially.  He’s always makin’ trouble.”
“Luther – “
“He’s KKK!”  Burgess stood eyein’ Luther, one foot on the gravel, one foot still in the truck.  “I mean it, Burgess.  You go in.  I’ll wait heah.  Best to avoid trouble when yuh can.”  
“Suit yourself,” said Burgess, stepping out and slamming the truck door.  “I guess, I’m s’posed to carry all the shit by myself.”
Burgess entered the store through the screen door and waited for his eyes to adjust to the dimness.
            “Hey, Burgess.  Pull up a chair.  Set a spell,” said Plez Foster.  Four men were seated near a wood stove which still held the embers of the morning fire.  “You know R.L. Hicks?”
            “Don’t believe I do,” said Burgess, shaking the man’s thick, meaty hand.
            “His boy Junior ... an’ you know Harry Evans.”  Burgess nodded and took a seat.




            “Anyways,” said R.L.  He had been in the middle of a story and seemed annoyed at the interruption.  “I cleaned out ol’ Lonnie Pritchett in a poker game a week ago last night, over at Brook’s Lounge.”
“Barely got out with the shirt on his back,” said Junior, laughing.  “Brooks cashed Pritchett’s paycheck for him halfway through the game.  A week’s pay.  He lost ev’ry dime of it.” 
“On the last hand,” continued R.L., “he was seven dollars shy of seein’ everybody’s cards, so we let him put in an IOU.  Well, he lost.  An’ I won.  He tol’ me he’d pay me ‘fore Sunday night an’ I ain’t seen the bastard since.”
            “Lonnie gets to drinkin’ and gamblin’ an’ he loses what little sense he’s got,” said Harry.
            “He’s one dumb son of a bitch,” said R.L.
            “Can’t play poker worth a shit,” said Junior with a strange sort of snicker.
            “You know Pritchett, don’t you, Burgess?” asked Plez.
            “I know him some.  He shows up at my church every now an’ then.”  Burgess turned to look at R.L.  “His wife an’ two little girls come every Sunday.”
            R.L. threw Burgess a curious glance without moving his head.  He was quiet for a spell, the silence growing thick among the five men.  “Anyways,” he said, “Now, I have to whip that ol’ boy’s ass.”
            “R.L.  You ain’t go’n’ whip a man’s ass for seven dollars, are you?” asked Plez.
            “It ain’t the money, Plez.   It’s the principal.  He lied to me.”
            “Lonnie is a mighty big fellah,” said Burgess.
            “The bigger they come, the harder they fall,” said Junior, snickering and looking over at his father. 
R.L. was silent for a time, studying Burgess.  Then, he said, “I got skinned in a card game once.  I was ‘bout Junior’s age.  I had me a job with a road crew, spreadin’ gravel.  Travelin’ here an’ there.  First time in my life I ever had any money.  There was this honky-tonk down in Elberton.  I was underage but they let me in ‘cause I had some money to gamble with.
“The man who run the game was named Lawless.  I don’t remember his first name, jus’ that name – Lawless.  He wore this fancy hat perched up on the back of head.  He was a jokester.  He was a smart-ass.  Anyways, he picked me clean.  Plucked me like a chicken.  Then, he laughed at me.  Made fun of me.  Tol’ me to git back up in them hills where I belonged.
“Well, I went out to my truck.  There was a two-by-four in the back of it, ‘bout yea long.  An’ I waited in that parkin’ lot prob’bly two hours.  I remember it was a cold night, too.  Finally, that son of a bitch came out.  I sneaked up behind him an’ crushed that fancy little hat with my two-by-four.  Sent him sprawlin’ across the gravel.”  R.L. paused for effect.  “I got my money back.”  Turning toward Burgess, he added, “It don’t matter how big he is.  Worse comes to worse, I got a little bulldog ...” R.L. formed his beefy right hand into the shape of a pistol, “ ... that barks over here an’ bites way the hell over yonder.” 



Junior laughed at the joke.  “Nobody gets nothin’ on Daddy.”
R.L. was silent again, looking over toward Burgess.  Suddenly, he stood up an’
said, “Junior, you an’ me need to make like a horse turd ... an’ hit the dusty trail.”
            “An ‘I better git back to tendin’ my store,” said Plez, “’fore I run it outta business.”
            “You take good care of my investment now, Plez,” said R.L.
            “Oh, I will, R.L.  You can bet on it.”  Junior snickered again.  R.L. gave out a sort of snort that was curiously devoid of any mirth.  Plez grinned sheepishly at the unintended joke.  “Yessir,” he said again, “You can bet on it.”
            R.L. and Junior left the store without another word.  Burgess watched them through the front window as they drove away. 
“What can I do for you, Burgess Moore?” asked Plez. 
“I need some horse fencin’ an’ some creosote posts.  Some odds an’ ends.’
Out of the side of his mouth, Plez said in a low voice.  “I got a fresh supply of ‘shine in, if you’re int’rested.”
“That stuff rots your brain, Plez.”
“Mostly, it’s your stomach,” said Plez.  “But, it do fire a body up.”
“I’ll pass,” said Burgess, “but, I reckon Runt’ll be over here on the run.  He can smell corn from across the county.”
“He’s a mighty good customer,” said Plez with sincerity.
“Mind if I call in my helper?” asked Burgess..  “I might need him to tote some things.”
“Luther?  I was wond’rin’ where he was.”
.Burgess stepped to the door and called.  Luther came out from behind the side of the store. “Come on in here.”
“Yes, suh, Mr. Moore,” said Luther.
Burgess gave him a wink, nodding in the direction of R.L. Hicks.  “That’s about the rottenest bastard I’ve seen outside a jail cell,” said Burgess.
“Rotten basta’ds, bot’ of ‘em,” Luther answered.  “Junior’s jus’ as mean as de ol’ man.”
                     



No comments:

Post a Comment